Friday, November 9, 2012

The greatness of adventures


I'm so in love with this man at the moment and sharing my life between Stockholm and Zürich is probably the best thing I've ever done. The biggest challenge positive and negative, the greatest adventure but also an enormous development when it comes to me, us and how I measure the importance of life. I look at things differently and I realise that in many ways, I had already grown out of Stockholm before. I also knew that I needed to make a bigger "life-situation" change for the sake of my family and everyone's wellbeing.
It certainly hasn't been easy to raise a child pretty much by myself for a whole year or to be pregnant very much on my own - but God have I grown, in my heart, in my mind and in my life. But in the same way, it's such a blessing to have what most people take for granted - an everyday together with with my man and with Alexis. As a passionate couple, as parents, as a family with a clear father role present almost every day, it's a gift and something we often take for granted because of the normal family structure.
Having traveled as much as I have, all my life, I felt like I was suffocating in Stockholm at the end and it didn't have that dynamic and international feeling which I've always loved and treasured. I felt like I was different, like I didn't fit in any longer and I always felt like there was something bigger and greater out in the world - and that the city and me really didn't understand each other. I hope you understand what I mean. The city of Stockholm is probably not the main issue, but I had already begun to change and when that sort of change has taken place, it's hard to just remain the same.

At the moment, it feels like it could have been anywhere, but with those ingredients, my man and my son - we could have made it anywhere. Home is not always where we are born and raised. Home can be where your loved ones are, where you decide it to be for the moment.

(coat: my own design, jeans: 7 for all mankind, shades: Celine & bag: Louis Vuitton)

19 comments:

  1. Stina this is a beautiful photo. Yes you are right, home is where your heart is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Home is where your heart is".... Thanks for a lovely blog. /Nina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Home is where your heart is. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Det låter bra,pappa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hallo Stina
    manchmal dauert es Zeit zu erkennen, dass dort, wo Sie geboren sind, ist nicht immer, wo Sie leben .. Aber schriftlich mit, dass Sie Pflanzen aus Ihrer Heimatstadt o ein bisschen naivt.och nach unten zu schauen auf das Leben Sie hatten .... Es ist alles klingt nur darum, mit ihrer Familie.

    Dort sollten Verlauf genommen zuvor.

    aber man lernt, solange du lebst. "

    Viel Glück

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do not say that Sweden is not also considered my home, but the point is that sometimes you just need a change and sometimes the home is just wherever you decide it to be for the moment.

      Delete
  6. Sooo true! And happy to hear your "new" life is working out so great for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. May be ................ not sure at all, we always need to find back our roots one day. But enjoy your new love life with your superb man and baby and be always happy and so beautiful! you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The roots don't need to be gone or anything because of this. The roots will always be there, with pleasure and pride - but sometimes you just need something new. For a lifetime or for a while.

      Delete
  8. You both look great, happiness suits you well.
    My mom lived in Zürich for almost 10 years, it's a very lovely city.
    Have a nice weekend,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Zurich really has a lot to offer both singles and families!

      Dito!

      Delete
  9. I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Stina - it felt like you can read my thoughts - i have done the same thing - left stockholm for another European capital to be with my man and now we just had a baby!!! I believe the best things are not the ones that come easy. And a love that can stand the test of time & distance is stronger and even more beautiful...

    Just out of curiosity - did your man consider moving to Sweden? We did - but at the end of the day, I wanted change, a bigger city, challenge, pulse and his career is better off abroad.. and i think that we women are more adaptable too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy for you and the greatest gifts absolutely comes from the biggest challenges!

      Well, M came every weekend for one and a half year but honestly, no. Because of the career, taxes etc etc. There was not much for him to look for work wise,

      Best,
      stina

      Delete
  11. Hi Stina,

    That's a really positive post. I would have to add that it does help that Sweden and Switzerland are not very far from each other. For my part, California and France(me)/Ukraine(hubby) are pretty far. I know what you are saying with growing apart from a country and wanting to explore other locations and even live there. I have been in Sacramento for almost 10 years now. I'm still liking it but would also be ready to move somewhere else (come back to Europe?). The toughest part though is to not being able to visit France/Ukraine/Family whenever we please. You have to plan it, you have to schedule it, take time off, organize work, stay longer to make it worthwhile, etc. We basically do it once a year but that's not enough. It's also this idea than we can't just drop everything right away and leave when we please. It's a little bit frustrating. The time difference makes is also difficult to reach people on the phone.
    But otherwise, the adventure here is great, that's undeniable.
    I think you have a beautiful setting, Sweden, Switzerland, Eastern Europe, etc. It's very rich with potential adventures.
    Do you have any plans for activities in Zurich? Is the magazine taking all your time?
    Tell us more :)
    Emilie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emilie, Thank you for this great comment. Living in the US and having family in Europe must be hard, I have a few friends doing it but of course, it's more complicated with the setup as you mention.
      But what a possibility you've experienced and like you say, you can always come back to wherever though it takes some planning to move a family, it's not something you do without really thinking it through.

      Well the plan is probably to make our family bigger eventually to start with, but I would love to be able to continue my medical aesthetic career here at one point. But it's almost impossible with a little one at the moment.

      I'm such an entrepreneur and it's hard for me to strangle myself, but I'm a mother now and it's so important to give our children time and focus even though that means a lot of sacrifices for yourself.

      Warm regards,
      stina

      Delete
  12. Everyone: thank you dearly for all wonderful comments!

    ReplyDelete