Monday, March 25, 2013

Florence/Firenze

So Florence, this dream come true, city of love, romance and renaissance sculptures, blooming green parks as a left over from the Romans time ... I had high expectations on this city when I surprised M with this trip, like always when first visiting a place known by so many. He had already been there, some years ago now and we looked forward to enjoy our first time together without children since we've become parents.
We eat us through the days and continued all through the evenings in the best places we heard of, read about and got recommended by true food connoisseurs. It's such a pleasure, sharing the interest with someone close, the demand for the best of food and drinks and we truly love that aspect of life, where the ingredients, the atmosphere, the genuine knowledge about taste and flavours blends together in a all time kitchen experience, invited to some marvellous chiefs secret love.
The weather promised rain for two of the days, but we had the destiny on our side and mostly we were blessed with beautiful and warm spring temperatures and this tempting italian sun. We walked around as much as possible and breathing in the lively fullness of the italian soul and the quite run down city that even so, have this sort of charm, only a city in the south parts of Europe can get away with.
For the admiration of this city, I would say it's by far all high quality trattorias in the small corners, offering superb food with an impressive variety and fantasy in the making! The wide selection of wine and the friendly citizens is also something that make you feel this sort of south comfort and laid back feeling. The negative part of this city is the enormous amount of tourist, students etc, etc. Even if we didn't go during the high seasons, you have to expect at least an two hour queue to the museums, exhibitions and other parts of the city of culture. That is just so sad and takes away a lot of the charm. It also feels like Florence unfortunately have had its period of greatness when it comes to the facade, the architecture and the famous gardens that almost felt like a joke in a greater perspective, which is such a pity. We also tried some of the more modern and hip restaurants, but for atmosphere, quality, service and wine - it's absolutely not where you should go. The places I will write about is the italians best choice, quite expensive and sophisticated, but a memory for life when it comes to the all time experience and the true genuine italian kitchen. So, stay tuned!

(stina: orange coat: Max Mara, jeans: H&M maternity jeans & bag: Hermés & M: leather jacket: Christian Dior, scarf: Yves Saint Laurent, shades: Bvlgari, suit: Custom made & shoes: Weston)

18 comments:

  1. I can understand the sadness of it, but for me the ultimate beauty is just that of greatness that is fading that can be found in so many places in the chaotic state of modern Italy, that I love so much. I love the cracked facades and fading colours, as they make me truly understand the passing of time. Strange but true, I so much prefer the sinking beauty of Venice to anything new and perfect I see, and I will always prefer the chaotic cluttered streets of Florence to for instance Porto Cervo which I find completely soulless (great beaches though). But that is just me. Looking forward to seeing more pictures, you look great!

    MK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly MK and as I wrote, there's a lovely charm to all of that which i love. But yet, the Boboli garden was such a disappointment compared to so many other I've seen and the great renaissance atmosphere I've longed for, simply lacked a lot.

      But I love most things about Italy nevertheless.

      Best,
      stina

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing Stina. As always a pleasure to read your beautiful blog! I am going for a wedding in Florence, at four seasons hotel, in may. Looking forward to some tips in restaurants worth visiting.
    Susanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting! It will come!

      Best,
      stina

      Delete
  3. Du har på riktigt fått mig att börja arbeta mer med min systemkamera. Jag blir så oerhört inspirerad (och imponerad) av dina fantastiska bilder.

    Kram Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie: wonderful! Good luck! I can't live without mine though I hate the size and weight of it!


      Best,
      stina

      Delete
  4. I prefer really rRome for same raisons of eating, charms, wonderful hotel and not many peope into museums etc. The soul of Rome with true Italian on all terraces in winter under heating parsol are so cheer. Women are very well dressed but you look with M very happy it's marvelous to watch. All the best to continue travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Rome also and that city I go back to whenever I can. Florence is not my favourite city but I truly enjoyed it anyhow!

      Best,
      stina

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photos - looks like you are having a wonderful trip! Enjoy :-) !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Stina, I've just discovered your blog while I've been recovering from surgery. Can I just say how much I've enjoyed reading it! Although I found the posts in Swedish hard to follow I've managed to read through most of it over the last week or so and have found it a truly positive and uplifting experience?
    Thanks for sharing parts of your life with us. Moreover, huge congratulations on your 2nd pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth:
      Oh I hope you feel better know! Welcome to this creative corner of mine and thank you for reading and commenting!

      Best,
      stina

      Delete
  7. Ciao Stina. Are congratulations in order?
    Is that an engagement ring pictured with your gelato?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curator .......... some of you are just too smart.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful pictures! Thanks again for showing us new places from your point of view. Looking forward to see more pictures and especially you wearing your new coat. Such a stylish couple, you and M.

    Sophia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophia: Thank you for these kind words! The picture of the coat is up!

      Best,
      stina

      Delete
  9. Fantastiska bilder! Florens är så himla fint

    ReplyDelete