Wednesday, November 27, 2013

KSFW, part I

So when M flew away on a business trip, I though I had it all figured out with our nanny to help ... etc - but it turned out that she became sick just when M left and my Tuseday shopping day (for warm shoes mainly) turned in to a 1.5h rush with a babysitter that we know, to try to fit in what I wanted to buy. But I managed to get some lovely things, plus the first part of KSFW (Keeping Stina's Feet Warm) which ended up in a pair of super warm (tried them yesterday afternoon in the cold park), easy to put on, quite okay looking UGG's in black, the longer model. I also bought, like some advised, a pair of merino wool socks which is supposed to be the warmest there is. I bought them in a ski store so I trust them with my heart.
I also took the opportunity to check out the Sorel (model 1964 seems to be the warmest and the best) which probably is the second pair of warm boots I will end up with since we're celebrating Christmas in the alps with some friends and since we've got a house now. It feels like you need two pairs: the UGGs are the best choice for everyday use like walking the dog in the morning, taking the car to go shopping, picking up Alexis from his future kindergarden - and the Sorel is for when we're hiking (M would love that), skiing, being out for many hours in the snow, rainy/snowy cold days.

I currently wear Bally's curling boots, bought initially 1999, but they're no longer warm enough for me here. Far from it!

I checked out each one of all of the links and advice you dear readers suggested and there was a LOT of very good advice out there and I could have got most of your recommendations, but since I needed them like 'yesterday', I had to go for the KSFW part I that was close to my reality and easy to purchase.

So going from cold feet in the morning to warm feet in the afternoon felt like a blessing. I combined them with my skinny jeans and my lovely green fur shawl in cashmere/wool mix.

If you're also looking for what to buy to keep your feet warm - be sure to read through all of this before!

Talk soon!


23 comments:

  1. Ecactly what I thought.... I know you dear Stina
    Hugs
    Uta

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Sorel are long to la e each morning I got mad!
    Uta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uta, me too, I couldn't take being doubled up in the hall trying to lace them up and prise them off!

      Delete
    2. Exactly! I would have gone bananas! I have absolutely no patience for stuff like that! I know my self!

      Thank you girls!

      Delete
  3. Good choice dear, I know from others that Uggs will definitely keep you warm. I can imagine us having the same "problem", I am also ALWAYS cold on my feet, even before I enter outside my toes are like . Despite, as probably many others, I have this love-hate-relationship to Uggs. They are a little bit up everything, cool, classy, ugly... But what makes me hesitate the most is that I know they cannot really stand the snow/slush/rain that lately have been the winters in Norway. If the snow is slightly wet (and specially in the cities with all the salt) they get this ugly water-/salt-stains on them that are impossible to even out. Probably a bit easier with the black ones in the end, but let us know how you deal with it. Bottom line is that they'll keep you warm and able to stay outside for longer than 10 mins:)
    And I love the bag!!! Wish u a great sunny day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ..I meant to say that my toes are like icicles. Which is oh so true.....

      Delete
    2. Johanne, there are water resistant ones out, they are incredible, I think it's Emu that do them.

      Delete
    3. I know Johanne, they are not water resistant but I hardly go out when it rain/slush snow anyhow! ha ha ... But they are perfect now and that is what counts.
      Having cold feet and toes are really a hassle, but go and buy the warmest ski socks for every day in merino wool! They really work!

      Good luck Dear!

      Delete
  4. Black Uggs don't seem to actually look so bad...

    I'm still thinking that Uggs are way too comfortable and for that there is a danger that heels are staying to the closet after winter time too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, when I got back into our home, I hardly wanted to take them off. Dangerous!!!

      Delete
  5. I can't imagine my life without Uggs! I've got two pairs - short in pink and longer in brown, but these are, in fact quite old. So next year I may get myself a new pair and well, black ones look nice! Or, those which Uta mentioned before - with sequinnes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! Yes, i kind of like the black ones! Had the lighter brown like 11 years back so now I wanted black which goes with everything!

      Delete
  6. Did you get some spray for the UGGs? To make them a bit more durable against rain and slush? I use them on all my shoes before going outside.

    About your headaches. I'm sure you have tried almost any cure so far, but have you tried spike mats, spikmattan? I use three in extreme conditions: one around my head, one for my neck (like a little spiky pillow) and one for my back, when sitting on the couch. Laying on the floor is a bit too painful... Take a long, hot shower before and then apply some cooling gel (I use Ice Power-line in Finland) or muscle relaxing gel. Usually, after an hour, with this "torture", I almost fall asleep, on the sofa...Even if the tv is on..

    With hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NK- Yes i've got the spray from the brand Bally which I have a tradition to use on all my shoes, even these.

      And I have a spikmatta, funny that you mentioned it because when I went through all of my clothes in our attic, I found it and said to m that I really should use it. I haven't heard about one thought that is for wrapping around my head???

      Delete
    2. Hi Stina,

      You can see the spikmatta from the website https://www.hobbyhall.fi/web/store/kauneus-ja-terveys/terveydenhoito/terveystarvikkeet/in-wellness-piikkipanta . Sorry, it's only in Finnish.

      It's like a scarf with spikes on, which you wrap around your forehead. There's a sticker on both ends of the "scarf" so it keeps itself locked.

      Delete
  7. Oh, you have the Alma BB in black epi leather as well. Wanted to buy the alma pm last year, but the nice shop assistant convinced me to buy the Brea :-) Hugs B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. B_ Bra is also very nice, quite original and not a very common model which is nice!

      I am just in LOVE with the Alma BB, it fits everything I need and i find the model fun and very usable, both as hanging over my body and as a lovely evening bag. The black I like because it looks a little bit more edgy with the math black and the silver hard wear. The turquoise is just so lovely because I love how poppy the colour is. My favourite combination is that one and my pink coat. So fun with the two colours together!

      Delete
    2. You are right, the Alma BB is lovely and I am sure that I will buy it as well in black or I'm fuchsia. I would like to use it as an evening bag as well. Thank you very much for your nice answer ;-). Hugs B.

      Delete
  8. I must say I know ugg a are not very attractive but I could not survive the irish cold without them l I wear them mainly in the house I am not sure I could wear then outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we all have a way of wearing them! I could easily have one pair for our house!

      Delete
  9. You have find nice looking Uggs. I recomend other Uggs model called Adirondack that looks someting like Sorel but nicer in city. These shoes are really warm but also waterproof when wheather is not so nice. I wear mine when going out with kids (and going shopping -20 degree) and of course skiing holiday in Alps. Thank you for your nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes I saw the too and thought about getting them since they are a combination of the UGG and the Sorel, but then I am such a aesthetic person and got these!

    Best,
    stina

    ReplyDelete