Sunday, January 5, 2014

2014

2013 might have been the greatest year of many. It contained so much of emotions, changes, battles and triumphs. It's hard to try to make some sort of conclusion of it and I'm not even sure I want to. I love moving on, looking forward and see into the future rather then the opposite and often the bad periods in my life can be ever so hard at times, but they always fill me with knowledge and I've learnt throughout the years that those negative periods always brings out the absolute best in my life in experiences and new possibilities.

I often feel high on life. Not because of something exceptionally that I have, more of how i've pursue most days. Perhaps the ability to see the bright side of many things and to really indulge myself in what a beautiful chance there is to be alive, to live and to jump on all trains flashing by - is what makes this gift present?
I know that my easy going personality often is a lifesaver, not many things is too big of a problem in my world and I can always find a reason for a little bit of fun or treatments to find energy. There's always a solution to most things and when you neglect the size of a problem and take it into perspective of all problems you've already dealt with in your life and managed to stay sane, well, then there's not much that can't be done with a little bit of will power, hard working and some braveness. (And preferably your families/friends/loved ones support, even if it didn't go exactly as planned.)

2013 was also when i started to love being a foreigner abroad, it was the year when I carried our second child, a journey not always easy since I got some sort of pregnancy depression in the beginning (it was just to much at the time, Alexis was quite a task, M and me was not at all in sync and I was stranded in a city that I at the time, was not very fond of). The year was also when I learned so many things about myself, how strong I actually are and also, where my weaknesses lays.
Our relationship went through many roller coasters and I'm not afraid to point that out since many people think we have a perfect life just because I chose to share small parts on internet through pictures. We are less normal then many, that might be true; we're addicted to change, to adventures and are far more spontaneous and dare to take risks then many I know - but even so, we're so normal and our everyday life is probably just like most parents. We just try to make it all work, sometimes struggle with too little time for each other, the children that takes most waken hours per day, finances for what we want in life, different opinions, life wishes ... you name it. Anyhow we've both learned to accept each other and the cultural differences we have and take advantage them instead of the opposite. In fact, that's a life long mission when living together.

This year was also when I spent quite some time in South of France and Sweden again and suddenly, without any consideration we, with Leon one week old, was the owner of a house. Many times have I asked myself what the %&?* we were thinking, or not thinking at all, but in the flow of the moment, we drastically decides to change our life again, move yet another time and try to make life as good as possible and get something extraordinary for our family.

Zürich is marvellous, the closeness to everything, the alps around the corner - but face fact, it's far from idealistic with children. The men works crazy much, the kindergarden costs a fortune, the countries around wont be enjoyed since the small children are an obstacle and therefor it's more of a prison then anything else. Everything is also absolutely ridiculously expensive and weather you can afford it or not, there's a limit to what is reasonable to pay for certain things. We could would need to wait quite some time before we could get a house in the really nicer parts of the closer suburbs around Zürich lake, and honestly, we are too impatience, we wanted a big house and a garden, preferably yesterday.

But like all coins there's two sides of everything. I will miss the quality of everything here, of things, of shops, brands, designers etc so much. I will miss the wonderful food selection provided everywhere, the wide selections of good wines and beers in every food store, Chanel five minutes from where I live, the stunning architecture in the city and the lake just a couple of minutes walk from our roof flat. I will also miss the view from my desk where I sit and write this text, the mountains, the neoclassical big house in front of me, the beautiful church top and all the nature surrounding me like a warm hug and not to mention the weather. It's so much milder here, warmer most of the time and just more pleasant with more light then I'm used to in Scandinavia. It makes a lot of difference I can tell you.
Of course I will also miss the new really nice friends I've got, the lovely girls who most of them contacted me through my blog and warm hearted took me into their life and showed me around. I owe so much gratitude to them. Also some of M's friends that just been so kind and helpful. It's a lot to be sad over, but luckily we are only planning to stay a few years on our new place and then we'll see where we will go. It's a comfort to know that everything is possible and there's so much in the world to explore and the fear of the unknown should never prevent you from daring and try. It's when you put yourself out there that you become grateful, experienced, humble and will be a apart of an adventure that will widen your eyes and mind. Narrowness, bitterness, jealousy, negativism often comes from the fact that you're swimming around in your own little fish bowl.
You have to open your world, your mind and heart to become a great person, big in the way you think and look at everything around you.

So here we are. In the beginning of 2014. With two small boys, a big move in the end of this month and again, all the packing and sorting. I know so much will happen this year and both M and me has to strangle ourself to realise that not everything will be perfect from the beginning, we can't have it all now and that is in some ways - the beauty of the absent and the days to come!

Some of the goals I'd like to share with you for this lucky number seven year (as my reader Mel pointed out 2+0+1+4=7):

1.I will start Pilates or Yoga or maybe both. Going through two pregnancies very close and three years of very poor sleep needs a strong physical body.
2. I will buy less things for my old life and realise that where we are right now, they will hardly be worn anyhow. Cool, chic, practical is my new fashionista style. Not very different from what I do right now, but sometimes I look at things that I want to buy and ask myself the question "Stina, when will you wear those 14cm boots?" Be reasonable and honest to yourself. Style wont be less present, just more smartly though through.
3. As soon as we have our help staying in our house, M and me will try to have at least one evening per week for our self!
4. Continuing developing as a human in a concrete way, which means putting up goals and really strive for them and when they are achieved, write a big line over the goal and pamper myself with positive things. You always have to earn something, it's much easier to continue when it's hard if you know there will be a treasure at the end.
5. Be less as a tornado at home and put away things at once. My element "air" is probably the reason for this, I don't mind but M do. I am very tidy but tend to be messy between my tidiness so to speak ...
6. Make our new house the best possible so it feels dynamic, beautiful, homish, warm and family loving. I want different colours and interesting decorations very well chosen. Normality and the typical is boring. The very "scandinavian" way of decorating scares me. I've been wounded by all the white and the minimalistic from living in the super stylish Stockholm for too long. I love how we take decorating seriously, but it has gone to the point where it all look the same which is my nightmare.
7. Try to be positive about our move and everything that will happen this year. It will be fine. Can't wait to see what this chapter of life has to offer us!
8. Be happy with what's here and now and not always want the absolute best at once. Or want it, is good, but also be realistic of what age we're and that in the 30- something it's not normal to have it all, specially not in combination with two small children. The beauty is to indulge ourself with the reality we're in and enjoy every minute of it.


Happy New year to YOU and keep in mind- Everything you want, is on the other side of fear!

23 comments:

  1. Stina I could hug you for this wonderful post!
    I too tired of the all white Scandinavian look a few year back, though I still adore Gustavian antiques and over the last two years I have focused on buying clothes that work for my life now and not my old life, pfft, the high high heels can be hard to give up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Stina.This is truly a brave and inspirational post.Contrary to what was written at some point, I believe you have been transparent in what you have been posting on your blog, both the good ones and the more personal ones.Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting thoughts and serious ones too.

    I hope all the best, lot of love and understanding, for you and your family to the year 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's unusual to find a blogger who portrays the sort of mega-watt glamour that you do and then is prepared to bare their soul and show any self-doubts or 'weakness', most just want to show a perfect, easy, stress-free world of beautiful places and clothes. I keep reading your posts, as they are so real. I can't believe that you find the time to write so regularly with such a full life, but I am glad that you do. I hope that 2014 brings you peace and contentment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A truly wonderful post! All the best for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jag hoppas att du alltid kommer att ha tid att skriva om dina tankar om livet. Tack för att du inspirerar mig att se framåt och öppna mig för livet. Allt gott till dig och dina familj under det nya året! Varm kram!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very personal and thought provoking post. Happy new year and I hope this will be the happiest and healthiest yet for your family. Good luck with the move it will probably be one of the best decisions you everade

    ReplyDelete
  9. ME ENCANTA SU REFLEXIÓN,ES USTED UNA PERSONA ENCANTADORA Y RESPONSABLE.UN LUJO PODER SEGUIR SU BLOGS.FELICIDADES Y SUERTE PARA SU FAMILIA Y USTED EN ESTE NUEVO AÑO.ISABEL DESDE ESPAÑA.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I admire your honesty and courage for being so open with your readers. Thank you for sharing your aspirations and desires for 2014. Here's wishing you a wonderful year ahead filled with peace amidst the chaos of bringing up a young family, love, respect and understanding when time lacks between you and your Man, joy in the knowledge that you are living a blessed life despite multiple challenges hurled at you, success at whatever you set your mind and heart upon. (This is a reminder to all of us out here and there.) Xx, Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your thoughtful post. It gave me pause to consider my own goals and aspirations. I appreciate the time you put into your blog. It is honest and real, not superficial. Best wishes for a healthy, and happy 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Stina,
    Thank you for your thoughtful, philosophical post. I appreciate your honest and insightful blog. It is real and not superficial. Wishing you much health and happiness in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stina I can so much understand you about this beautiful post that I am completely with your thinkings and emotionsl.
    I spent a very bad year and I hope that this good nr 2014 will bring us the serenity.
    I am sure that this change of house will open you other posdibilities of enlarging your life already very full of great happiness even difficult to adapt at beginning.
    Yes a new life, decoration, etc is coming to bring you again more philosophy.
    All I can wish you is to continue to fight to be this marvellous woman you are.
    Thank's for your fantastic blog honnest and everything that you make to improve our life by your thinkinhs and beauty and right way to pursue your new family life.
    Love. Uta
    My English is not good as usual hope you understand what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stina I hope my comment had left from my i phone early this morning.
    By the way I will be away from thursday to the end of the month.
    Hugs. Uta

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Stina, thank you for this inspirational, honest and heartwarming post ( it made it to the podium of favorite posts!! :-D ), where in many parts I can clearly see myself too.

    My top resolution is to make 2014 a simple year.
    I have tried to achieve this idea of some grand scheme, to reduce my footprint (or, as you well wrote....to be a less as a tornado..blame my air sign as well..) in the past, but in the back of my mind there was always a nagging fear, that such a project would decrease our life-quality.
    But I decided that - and after having a baby - living with less stuff, stress and obligations is far more important than full closets, unhappy jobs, too many people/relationships that appear and disappear and take more energy of you than boosting you with...

    It will be a very challenging year, to maintain a commitment to a long-term change, focus on what really matters, but in the end I am sure I will have more time, energy and perhaps also money to pursue what means most to me.

    January is always like a new semester at school, nothing has been decided yet, an A is still possible!

    I'm looking forward to an awesome year for all of us!

    Love,
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this side of you, very inspirational. Happy 2014 anf good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely post, very warm, honest and thought provoking. I love your strong mental attitude, and always looking for the good, in people/places/things. I wish you and your family (readers too), a very happy and healthy 2014. xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Stina,
    ich wünsche euch alles Gute für 2014!
    Toller Beitrag! Auch wenn man aus dem selben Land kommt ist das Leben zusammen als Paar nicht einfach ;) Ich bin sehr gespannt wo es euch jetzt hinverschlägt und freue mich auf Bilder. Ihr werdet das alles schaffen und euer Leben so leben wie ihr das möchtet.
    Liebe Grüße
    Maja

    P.S. Ich erfreue mich jeden Tag an dem schönen Korb aus Frankfreich von dir :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes dear readers I wish you also a very very good , Happy New Year.
    Uts

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Stina, I wish you and your family all the best for the upcoming year!
    Since I am not sure if I have missed it or if you have simply not revealed it yet:

    where will you live from now on?

    Regards and warm thoughts,
    M.

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOMAN!! How do you do it? You have two kids and still keep you blog as great as ever! Thank you!! Me- I barely have the energy to read the entire post (jumped 5 and 5 lines at a time) but it gave me such a boost (as always) so I bookmark it to read in a near future. You will have a fantastic year!! The year of the horse (Chinese horoscope) will give us all a wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stort tack Stina för en härligt ärlig och rak post! Jag är en av de som lätt tänker att "Stina har det perfekta livet" och "du har ALLT". Bloggposten innehöll mycket tänkvärt, men bara orden att du och M har haft lite roller-coaster, fick mig (utan att veta några detaljer) att inse hur löjlig jag är och att såklart är du också vanlig människa bakom "glamouren". Jag förstår ju (och har tänkt innan) att det kan ju inte vara helt enkelt varje dag med kulturskillnaden och M's långa arbetsdagar. Du måste ju slita oerhört mycket med barnen! Och ändå orkar du blogga och vara så fantastisk. Du är otrolig och lycka till med flytten. Mellan raderna låter det som att detta hus inte är vad ni egentligen vill - jag förstår det inte riktigt - vad vill ni ha? och varför är inte ddetta helt bra? hur gick beslutsprocesen till? Men kanske får vi svar på detta längre fram. Tack

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stort tack Stina för en härligt ärlig och rak post! Jag är en av de som lätt tänker att "Stina har det perfekta livet" och "du har ALLT". Bloggposten innehöll mycket tänkvärt, men bara orden att du och M har haft lite roller-coaster, fick mig (utan att veta några detaljer) att inse hur löjlig jag är och att såklart är du också vanlig människa bakom "glamouren". Jag förstår ju (och har tänkt innan) att det kan ju inte vara helt enkelt varje dag med kulturskillnaden och M's långa arbetsdagar. Du måste ju slita oerhört mycket med barnen! Och ändå orkar du blogga och vara så fantastisk. Du är otrolig och lycka till med flytten. Mellan raderna låter det som att detta hus inte är vad ni egentligen vill - jag förstår det inte riktigt - vad vill ni ha? och varför är inte ddetta helt bra? hur gick beslutsprocesen till? Men kanske får vi svar på detta längre fram. Tack

    ReplyDelete