Saturday, June 7, 2014

Proud to be SWEDISH!


Happy Swedish National Day (yesterday)!
Sweden is one of the absolute best countries in the world and is always ranked in top of the most important lists in all surveys nation wide. I'm proud to be raised in a country who values women more then most countries around this planet and where you are brought up to speak your mind, have own oppinions, be strong minded and take a part of this world rather then be just a spectator. I'm proud to be Swedish where you realise the importance of fatherhood and where some companies actually will look down on CEO's not taking at least a couple of month to be home with the children. In our country, a real man with a real career also needs to see this part of life with his own eyes and he will benefit from the experience also in his work life.
That fact that a mother can be home one and a half years with her baby and get 80 percent of her salary, keep her job - is a gift from above. Not only crucial for the little life and soul of the child, but also for her of adaption to the new family life and her inner wellbeing, breast feeding etc etc.

I'm proud to be taught English very early in school, not having our television and films doubt and being the best country in the world to speak English as a non native language.It's makes the world our playground since we can talk the language fluently and therefor open our options later in life.
I'm also proud to live in a country where we pay high taxes so that EVERYONE can afford kindergarden and no one have to pay for schools or university for children when they are older. Education should never be a question of money or class in the society, it should be one of the fundamantal rights as a human being since it's one of the most powerful tools to go from poverty or little believe in the future, to something else. With an good education the colour of your skin get less visible, your background less important and women and men can fight for the same jobs and decide and take commando over our dreams and goals in life.

I'm also proud to have very good medical treatments, almost for free (20Euro) and to pay nothing for pregnancy treatment or birth of your children and above that always get excellent care if you need. You don't need to pay a large amount, only manageable for some, for expensive health insurances, a health insurance for your child costs about 15Euro per month and the rest is covered by the government which is financed by us all. The rich pay more and the less rich pay less. Maybe not the most luxurious form aesthetically, but top ranked when it comes to the latest news in medical research and progress.
I'm proud to be raised with my heart and eyes open for cultural differences, different nationalities just as common as ever and also being brought up that love can come in as many forms as the colour of the rainbow. My parents had gay friends when I was smaller and it is far more easy here then in many other places to live a life as gay or with other sexual differences where you are respected and accepted for the choices your are born with or choose to develop. You can even get married and most of us has one or two friends around with another view of love then us with a typical partnership.

Sweden might also stand for many things that I dislike, but few countries are so well balanced, open minded, modern and are seen as a huge role model for the world as Sweden. I'm always truly proud when travelling around the world and people ask me from where I am (if it's not clear enough already). Swedes are looked as people with high moral, trustworthy, kind, smart and well educated and generally as very good and modern human beings. That's not bad at all! I hope Sweden continues to work with the less good questions and continue value the strong minded aura we have around us.


(cardigan: Celinè, t-shirt: Kenzo & pants: Zara)

28 comments:

  1. Happy Swedish day ! For many reasons, every country should see Sweden as a model to follow. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made me smile /Swedish and proud also

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to that! I'm from Finland and could say almost all the same things. One realises how good things here in Nordics are especially for women and mothers only when being exposed to other cultures. Of course every society has it problems, but still.

    Thanks for the nice blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great "hommage" to Sweden. Very well written by a beautiful woman.
    Spend a very good long week end dear Stina.
    Uta

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish Australia would model itself more on Sweden and other Nordic countries and less on the USA! Happy Swedish National Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely couldn’t agree more!

      Delete
  6. I had an friend that used to work for H&M in NYC. And she spoke very highly about how well they treated her for her maternity leaves and their benefits overall. (They even paid for her to live in Sweden for training).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep it as short as possible: there goes not one day that I do not THANK GOD and My Beloved Mother who pushed my stubborn father to take all of us and leave the war zone that was then in Iran 1986 (and in some ways stil is). I have come to paradise and feel so spoiled each and every day when I know where I come from and where I live today. One of the simplest things to mention from my heart: The fact to breath the freshest air of freedom (spiritually and physically speaking) is something that I can never take for granted. Been back to Iran for visits in 2005 for three months and when I landed HOME in Sweden, Arlanda- I wanted to kiss the feet of each and every police officer that I saw. Thank You, Sweden, for opening your arms for me and my family. Thank You to all of you who have made Sweden what it is and may the generations to come not forget your basic human values that has made you stand out in the world as the image of humanity. Pinching my arm each and every day and hope I never wake up from something that I find to good to be true: a wonderful dream: to live in the land of PEACE and HARMONY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were a Swede myself, I'd be really proud of my country because of your beautiful words. What a touching story with wise and kind words. We who never have experienced the horrors of war in our countries fail to realize how grateful we actually should be. I hope someone someday would say the same beautiful words about my country, that really would make me proud. In the end it is peace, humanity and love that counts.
      Wishing you all the best!
      Minna from Finland

      Delete
    2. Dearest Minna; I Thank You from the bottom of my heart! I am truly moved to have the honor of receiving the best of wishes from such a kind person who happens to also be our neighbor <3 I too wish You all the best and send You LOVE, PEACE and JOY/Sheyda

      Delete
    3. Stina's proud and humane summary has told me so much I wasn't really aware of. And, Sheyda your words were so heartfelt they almost brought tears. I celebrate your joy. X

      Delete
    4. Dearest Flora; I Thank You from all my heart :) and send You LOVE, PEACE and JOY/Sheyda

      Delete
    5. Sheyda, words cannot describe how touch I am from those words. I can never imagine how it must be to need to leave your country for freedom somewhere else. I know we're blessed with the liberty of free thought and political views and won't be afraid to be tortured, kidnapped are disappear because of our beliefs.
      Your family and many with them, where so brave to take responsibility to try to give the members another life and leave everything for the better hope of the future.

      I'm so happy sweden worked out for you all and I know you're an amazing mother, a strong inspirational mother who will pass all your intelligent and humbleness over to your daughter!

      Big hug!
      stina

      Delete
    6. Dearest magical Stina~ by now you must have realised it but it's nevertheless a privilege for me to write the following: I have had the honours of meeting you twice in my life and each time I was blown away by the strength of your shining and energetic eyes that wanted to devour each second that is at your feet with passion and with grace. Woman~ WOW! Your blog and the small percentage of your magnificent life that you share with your readers are living proof that dreams do come true ESPECIALLY if you pay 110% respect to the fact that our thoughts are physical and powerful instruments and is graphically speaking; literally functioning as the genie in the lamp ("The Secret").
      Conclusively: blogs as powerful yet as light and beautiful as yours can teach us all that we can make the world a better place merely with the perspectives we chose to watch our life's upon. Thank You for being You! Thank You for Your beautiful blog that gives me answers when I need them the most as well as bring a bit of glam into my life ;) May the hand of the greater powers always keep You and Your loved ones safe. Sending You Love, Peace and Joy and I Thank You from My heart for Your Beautiful reply <3

      Delete
  8. Where are your shoes from?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am writing my Master dissertation about women in political decision making in the four welfare states and I use Sweden as an example for the Nordic model. I love how you emphasized the importance of fatherhood since this is exactly what I gonna stress in the paper. I think more countries have to realize that gender equality is impossible to be establish if we don't also focus on the men and fathers and I think this is something that especially Sweden has figured out quite well. So thank you for your inspiring words and I hope that this will provide me with good look for my Masters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. While I now reside in the US-I am originally from Canada. I agree with everything you have stated. I am very proud to be Canadian and am astonished that health care and education is not available to everyone in the US. There is a reason the US ranks so low on the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's terrible and I can't see a country developing correctly without the same opportunities for everyone.

      Delete
    2. I agree-but it does not seem to be a priority in the US-for a Western nation with amazing universities it is a tragedy.

      Delete
  11. What language do you speak in the house with your partner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know you speak French-good for you. Do the boys speak all four.

      Delete
  12. Word Stina!
    I agree totally. It is hard to live abroad sometimes, being brought up in Sweden with our ideals and principles. Sure, Sweden and Stockholm can be dull and boring and not very continental. But the good side is that we have what we have, and we know it. Wouldn't change it for anything in the world!
    Happy to hear you speak so fondly about it. Sometimes it seems as if you are not content in Sweden. But it makes me proud and happy that you see the positive sides swell.
    All best, another mother of two

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Sweden for so much reason I could write a book. But I hate the climate, the winter and grey month I truly can't stand since they're impacting my well being too much.

      Hope you're enjoying yourself abroad!!!

      Delete
  13. Sheyda your words are just wonderful. I think it is so easy to not appreciate Sweden when one has never experienced war, poverty, bad air to breathe etc. But it is so easy to forget the things you take for granted. But your nice words at least made me enjoy our country even more today, and really breathe in the fresh air and appreciate my life. //Laila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Laila; I want to Thank You for giving me the gift of making me understand that I have had a positive impact on the most precious Love that is given to You and each and every one of us that are able to magically breath now (it is magic!): the gift of TODAY ;) I send You Love, Peace and Joy

      Delete
  14. Hi Stina, this comment sums up exactly what I love about the country I was born and raised in and always tell people I meet about theses things. We are light years ahead in these aspects, and what we take for granted, many people in other countries are struggling for. Like you, I live outside Sweden since several years, and as much as I complained about how boring Sweden was in my younger years, having traveled around the world and then some truly brings new perspectives and an appreciation for what we are afforded in Sweden.

    Kind Regards,
    Roza in Dallas (feel free to check out my instagram @rozakarolina, I am following you ;))

    ReplyDelete