Tuesday, May 12, 2015

WKND in BERLIN

So a random mix from the very intense weekend. Like with everywhere except Stockholm and Switzerland, I'm always amazed how cheep everything is. It must be so wonderful to live, really live in a city where going out to eat at a nice restaurant and dine is not a minimum 120Euro per person, where a long ride of taxi in the evening is 15Euro and a wonderful glass of nice wine is 3.3Euro. I mean, I feel sad for the tourists coming to Stockholm, they most wonder what on earth is our problem and I can only agree.

Although there was no time for shopping, the possibilities seemed perfect and we went by many cool stores with amazing things. All high end brands has fine stores and really fun restaurants and clubs.
Else the city is so different, one can really feel the alternative living and the very easy going/strong personality mentality on a lot of people. They say it's poor city in the sense that the salaries are low which probably makes the "cheap" reality less for the people living and working there but even so it had a very togetherness feeling as an atmosphere. The houses and apartments are full of graffiti, something that would immediately be cleaned away in most modern cities I guess, but here they seemed to be allowed and just add another level of roughness and liberated dirtiness in a weird mix of everything else.
When we arrived the summer stood by the door and it looked so bushy and pretty.

I know the under ground world after midnight is crazy and we actually went to a members club on Saturday night I found out through one guy at The Soho House, where you are driven to an area most people would be scared being dropped at, something that looked like a alley for drugs and throwing trash. But behind a door which looked even worse then you could ever imagine, hidden (and completely impossible to find out and understand that anything of sophistication was behind) was this amazing high end club where they said all celebrities and famous people hang. My girlfriend almost refused to get out of the taxi, but clubbing in BC I know that some of the really thrilling places are just hiding behind something that would never make sense. Anyhow it was fun and always gives vibrate memories for life but being up at 7am for the whole purpose of the trip, one of a lifetime Medical Anatomy course, only allowed and held in Berlin and that lasted almost the whole day, we only had energy for midnight and left before all the most crazy of fun began.

I can't wait to get back here when the boys are older so we can teach them everything about what happened during the world wars and also when the wall came and later fell. It's an incredible amount of history one need to be very familiar with, especially since the wall existed until 1989, which seems just around the corner.
Another fun thing is the museums and exhibitions this city normally hosts, the same New York shows often arrives here and I would have loved to visit the Mario Testino show - but work and dinners was prioritised on this trip.

Thank you Berlin! Was a pleasure feeling your vibes for a wknd!

11 comments:

  1. Dear stina, the problem is that although the prices maybe seem low, but are salaries are lower too, impossible to compare with sweden or switzerland.. I live in austria now, but my family is in switzerland, so I know the prices in both countries. Although wine here in vienna is also 3.5 eur, my salary is low, so it doesnt seem cheap at all. But I know what you mean in general.. Best regards from vienna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do understand that and it's obvious actually, of course that means heaven for someone like me who are use to live in very expensive cities. Sure your earn well if you have a good career, but not everyone in Sweden has good salaries, neither in Switzerland.

      Point is that I do understand that it's not the same for the people living there.

      Best,
      stina

      Delete
  2. So much history at Berlin and at same time a avant-garde art town , with young people, and a beautiful imposant town in which I felt sad following where I visited. I like very much this lively town.
    Concerning the prices, of course folllowing the categories of restauraurants, hotels de luxe, luxury shops this is the same price as everywhere. But, it's true we can eat in a bistrot for half price than in Switzerland e.g. And I went to a hairdresser very well known, also half price. But as said Valeria the salaries are not the same than in Sweden or Switzerland.
    Anyway, this town has together a nostalgy and a great artistic movement of life but his history is terrible, but we have to know it. I was impressed by this huge, imposant town.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Berlin's history is not terrible...... :/ or you mean the 2. WW ? This is a big different , UTA

      Delete
    2. Of course she means the WW. And yes they do have a terrible history something they are very well aware of.

      Best,
      stina

      Delete
  3. And for me as a Norwegian, eating in Sweden would be considered cheap.

    It all depends on the salaries in the different countries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually I get really frustrated by people saying that everything is sooooo cheAp in Berlin, especially when they give the explanation two sentences later: There is hardly any industry in the city or nearby hence there's not many job opportunities, even less well paid ones and even worse due to the ongoing gentrification many people can hardly afford a living in their Kiez anymore. People who earn their money in Stockholm or even Switzerland like your man seems to do, may think that the city is extremely affordable, but for many people who need to make their living in B it's not.
    I'm happy that you liked my city (no, graffiti is not allowed but part of the culture and the city as well as house owners have VI ven up on removing it) but please think twice next time you happily utter that everything is so cheap and 'undergroundy' because there's a reason to it.
    Also, Soho House is in Mitte/PrenzlB and I don't know any inner city route the taxi driver might have taken through dodgy areas...this is a total myth in my understanding and I would like to see your colleague being sent to the Bronx or La Boca :-)
    Best
    /Yaca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaca. As you live in B,of course you can better than us judge the quality of life, us who see that with eyes of tourists, and I completely understand your point of view, to live and work in a country or town is never like to visit for a few days. Thanks to remind us the reality..
      Regards

      Delete
  5. Thanks Stina, of course I meant this terrible WW history my English is so bad. Sometimes difficult for me to exprime myself.....correctly.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Stina, I am so happy about your Berlin post. I have to admit though that I am really tired and bored of this city and looking for an other place in this world to live, just like you do. Anyway, your post was an eye opener- my town can be exiting to someone who actually travelled the world and I really need to change my perspective! Of course Berlin is not as clean as Stockholm, not glamorous like Rom and not open minded like Paris but your post reminded me of its charisma. Thank you for that! Concerning the cheap living discussion I have to agree with you. To me - raised in the north of Germany- the prices are low, even after seven years of living in this city. i can't complain. However, somethimes its nice to be reminded to appreciate what one has instead of always pursuing anything new. Love from Berlin and happy weekend, K. PS: next time you here I would love to guide you and M through the real less arty underground nightlife- Looking for a new Basquiat :D

    ReplyDelete